Monday, November 10, 2008

My Octagenarian Serenade

By and large, the elderly folk I get on the plane are OK. The average ones just sit there and I never notice them. A lot of them represent the best parts of their times, as in gentlemen passing drinks to ladies first and such. A few of them are epithet-shouting basket cases, and perversely, I usually end up appreciating them as much as dreading them. But every now and then, I get one that's a full bag of lit firecrackers, and Josephine was such a one.
Josephine was from New Jersey and she was headed back there, as she told me from seat 1B, right there in the front. I forget where she'd just been, but she'd have been able to tell you, and she had all kind of interesting stories about what I should do if I ever got to Atlantic City. The singing part of this story comes in when I realized I things would never line up like this for me ever again, and so I launched into the first verse of "Come, Josephine, In My Flying Machine." She had never heard of the song, but she was the kind that could get down with a moron in a polyester suit mangling century-old music. She wanted me to finish it, but that was all I knew.
I think this turned into a story about how clever I am, but I also think it doesn't count unless you know the whole damn song.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you didn't sing the lyrics to the Wallflowers' "Josephine":

Josephine
You're so sweet
You must taste just like sugar
And tangerines

But you've probably never heard that song before because it's not on any action movie soundtrack albums released prior to 1993.

3:04 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

They made CDs after '93?

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home