Sunday, September 07, 2008

Stupid Wheel Cart

Today some lady got on the plane with way too much to carry, and handed me this thing to tag and stow in the cargo hold. It looked like a wheelie suitcase-carrier rack thing, and I tried to do what I usually do with tagged luggage, which is stick it the corner of the galley until all the people are done boarding. But this damn thing... it was all wheels. You couldn't lean it up against the wall, because it would slide down and roll away. You couldn't put it wheels-up against the wall, because it would still slide down and roll away. If I balanced it perfectly so the wheels didn't roll, they became a fulcrum and the whole thing would flap down over itself... and then roll away. I tried fifty different ways to just put this damn thing on the floor. It really became man versus nature there for a while. People put their stuff down and started to watch. Eventually I settled for just holding it there in one hand, sulking at my own ineptitude, while the rest of the passengers boarded. And the worst part? I have no idea what this thing was. How could something that cannot be controlled or contained actually help you in any way to carry anything else? I think maybe this lady knew that it was useless, because she was carrying all her stuff and this thing. Perhaps someone gave it to her a long time ago, and she just hasn't been able to figure out a way to put it in a trash can.
When I'm having a bad day, I sometimes envision the ramper trying to give it back to her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home