Monday, April 21, 2008

The Exit Row Sleeper

Checking with the exit row passengers is something I usually approach with a feeling somewhere between trepidation and outright annoyance. See, there's up to four people I have to put this question to: "Are you willing and able to assist in an emergency?" And very few just say yes. We're about to take off, and they want to chat with you. Or they don't want to actually say yes. Or they want to make you ask them again because of the 'times question repeated = personal importance' formula. But my favorite... my absolute favorite is the jackhole who's sleeping in the exit row. I don't want to shake this guy awake because he might have just closed his eyes for a moment, so I ask the question loudly, hoping to snap him awake. That never works, because he's always in a coma. So I get three almost-yesses from the other people and then have to wake this guy up and ask a second time.
You know exactly what he does then; blearily finds me with his eyes, squints, sniffs, and says, "Whaa?" This makes me ask a third time, and by that time I'm ready to just throw him out the emergency exit then.
Why can't we just put passengers in cryo-sleep like in space movies?

4 Comments:

Blogger Aviatrix said...

Because then they couldn't operate the emergency exits.

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Then we passengers would not be able to think of new and interesting ways to annoy the FA's... Today I managed to panic one, because I felt a little "green" and was sitting in the first row, facing her... heh heh heh.

8:47 PM  
Blogger MrV said...

I am all for that. Then they would not be so meesy or break anything.

Nice blog...you have a new reader hear.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Guy said...

I've often thought that it would be more convenient to be put in cryo-sleep for the duration of the flight. However, apparently cryo-sleep greatly increases your chances of waking up 3000 years old due to some bizarre equipment failure, or discovering that you have been implanted with an alien egg while you are sleeping, so the drawbacks would seem to outweigh the advantages.

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home