Thursday, January 10, 2008

Welcome To The Jungle

My sister's always been the one with the green thumb. I've never even looked sideways at a plant, even when I was lying down behind them in the army while trying to get shot with fake lasers. But for some reason, the I-want-to-grow-stuff-in-a-pot gene switched on since I've been here, and well... this.

You'll recognize the far one in the brown pot. That's the one I toasted on the balcony last summer. It survived because it's a pothos, which is apparently Latin for indestructible. The three in the middle are ones I've cloned from said pothos. The one in the tall blue vase is in the bacta tank, undergoing the cloning process: sooner or later it'll sprout creepy white roots, and then when I stick it in a pot full of dirt, the roots will get all up in the dirt and it'll be a plant. The feathery thing just off the right side is some kind of fern that looked cool at the store. No clue what it is. Ideas are welcome. But it sheds, I know that. In front there in the tiny green pot are some African violets, the resident divas. I killed all the flowers, but the leaves are holding, so there's still hope. And the newest addition is a miniature palm, way in the back behind the middle pothos.
I must be serious about this, because I actually bought some plant food the other day. Still not sure what to do with it. It's kinda fun, exploring my botanical limits. I think as long as I stay this side of bonsais and chrysanthemums, I'll be OK.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think they call that an "air fern." But if it sheds, I'd call it a "Noelle Fern," even if it sheds green instead of white! L.M.

8:29 AM  
Blogger AkuTyger said...

It looks like asparagus, but I can't tell from this picture.


You now officially have a reader in Brasil - a real one, not spam, and I promise to comment in English, so you'd better update soon ;). I just spent the morning reading the entirety of your blog from the beginning, so I'll be disappointed if you give up now.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

YES! I MADE IT TO BRAZIL!
Trust me... so long as I work here, there will be no shortage of funny things, and thus no shortage of blog entries.

6:18 PM  
Blogger AkuTyger said...

There is a thing call a "cluster map" (I have one on my photo blog - thisweekinbahia) that shows where your visitors originate from on a nice little world map thumbnail. You ought to see about getting one, it's quite telling. I discovered I had visitors on nearly all of the continents. Who knows, maybe I am not the only Brasil based reader.

7:31 PM  
Blogger AkuTyger said...

See, here, check it out.

http://www2.clustrmaps.com/counter/maps.php?url=http://thisweekinbahia.blogspot.com/

7:37 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Neato! Now I have one too. Be warned, everyone... now I know where you live.

10:06 AM  
Blogger AkuTyger said...

Where is it?

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice, just not very red. Now you have another map to fill.
Sandtalker

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home