Friday, November 16, 2007

Now That's Just...

When I spent that funny Canadian bill I talked about in the last entry, I got a bunch of coins back. There was a one dollar coin, and also a two dollar coin, which momentarily fascinated me because it's made of two metals, like they plopped a small bronze coin into the middle of a regular-sized silver one. Also because it was shiny. But it's really that one dollar one I'm gonna make fun of. It's got a loon on the back of it, and had you asked me what to call it when I was staring at it outside Legendary Noodle, I would have said 'a dollar.'
Nope. It's a loonie.
A loonie. Canadians call it that. Never mind that it's because there's a loon on the back of it, they call it a loonie. And that two dollar one? It's a toonie. If you wanted three bucks off a Canadian, you could say, "Hey, gimme a loonie toonie!"
It's my shortcoming that I think this is funny. I'm just being country-centric. What does 'dollar' mean, right? But as long as the rest of the world hates Americans anyway, I'm gonna giggle a little.

2 Comments:

Blogger nicardo1 said...

I didn't know that's how it was in Ca-nah'-da. It's the same in Europe. Coins up to two Euros, then paper cash. Makes sense, really. At least in France. England is still clutching the pounds thing like rabid bulldogs.

8:40 PM  
Blogger crazyscot said...

Coins up to two pounds in Britain too. We largely got rid of the pound note in the 1980s.

3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home