Thursday, August 09, 2007

An Answer I Don't Have

Looking back over that post about disassembling your brain, I realized that when I wrote 'wooden goldfish saddle,' I actually had no idea whether the saddle was wooden or if it was a regular saddle and the goldfish was wooden. Reminds me of two things I've always wondered about that Police song 'Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic.' Does he resolve a thousand times a day to call her up, or does he resolve once to call her a thousand times? And does he ask her to marry him in an old fashioned ceremony, or does he want a modern ceremony and just puts the question to her using words like 'yea' and 'verily?'
Now that they're back together, maybe we have a shot at finding out.

3 Comments:

Blogger Clarence Wethern said...

I surmise that the resolution is the thing that is thousanded, not the call. As for "some old-fashioned way," I figure it's both really, but probably the asking is old-fashioned. This is merely speculation based on my own personal experience with resolving, calling, asking, and marrying.

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh! Ooh! I finally figured it out--the goldfish is big and wooden, and you're making an unspecified type of saddle for it. If you'd said, "...big(comma)wooden(comma)goldfish saddle..." then b, w & g would all modify saddle. To reach further levels of obscurity, and to fly totally in the face of the less-is-more theory, you might say: a big, golden, wooden saddle for a big, wooden, golden goldfish."
This kind of thing just makes my day!
L.M.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Indigeaux said...

Dude, I love your mom!

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home