Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Where We're Going We Don't Need... Eyes

Did you know blind people can type? Neither did I. The gate agent handed me a blind lady the other day, and as I passed her in flight, she had what looked like a black tackle box on her lap. And it looked like she was typing, so I asked her what she was doing. Yup. Typing. A braille typewriter. She pointed out the row of spaces where could feel the letters you'd typed... the only way I can think to explain it is that each space is a braille letter-sized grid of holes, and braille pokeys pop up through the holes in different places to make different letters in the same space. Like whack-a-mole, in a literary sense. It was easily the coolest thing I'd seen all week.
Tell you what I've always wondered though... they have braille on hotel room doors, but if you can't see, how do they expect you get to the hotel, into the elevator, and down the hall to look for the thumb-sized braille adrift on a six-by-three foot door?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, oooh, I know!!! Back To The Future!! P.S. The weirdest Braille I'VE ever seen is the offering at the ATM window. Go figure! L.M.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

Phil--

A Braille typewriter is considered and "assistive technology" device, and is one of many that the Blind use to make their daily lives a bit easier. The Blind (capitalized on purpose) have the absolute coolest gadgets and gizmos.

The Braille that you see all over the place is actually in standard locations that the blind are trained to find. Hope I haven't squashed the mystery for you. :) :)

Your man with info on disability-related topics,
Robert

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home