Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Lake Effect

No, not the new movie with Keanu Reeves, Sandra Bullock, and Morgan Freeman as the President. The lake effect is a something that happens here when the wind blows southeast. The Great Salt Lake is directly northwest of here, and the Lake Effect brings that sea-monkey-and-brine-fly smell all the way down into the city. The entire city. For hours. I had detected a foul smell in the air here a few times since I'd been here, but man... the other night I went out to Albertsons to get more not-food to put in my refrigerator, and I almost passed out on the stairs.
The only place you're safe here is underwater.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm coming anyway! L.M.

8:46 AM  
Blogger chris said...

I've always heard that called "lake stink" or "lake stench". Lake effect, on the other hand, more often refers to the enhanced snowfall seen downrange from the lake when a winter storm passes. It seems the warm lakewater dumps a lot of moisture into the air, which moisture-laden air then moves over the land along with a stormfront, and voila, big snowfall. I'm told it works that way near the Great Lakes, too.

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home