Thursday, July 05, 2007

The Best Fireworks Show Ever

It's our birthday again. I was eager to see what kind of firework thing Utah could whip up. Or what kind of crushing Communist oppression versus firework things.
The fourth started out wierd; some people had collected Mardi Gras-style at the edges of State Street (one of the main drags here) on the afternoon of the third, and I just figured they were waiting for a fireworks show. That they were there a day before the fourth just made me think they might jump the gun here in Utah with their pyrotechnics. I mean, it makes about as much sense as anything else they do here. But these folks were still there, camped out, when I was driving home at four AM, before which there had been no fireworks. And then by noon on the fourth, they were gone. Found out later it was a parade they were waiting for and not fireworks. I can't think of a parade I would camp 18 hours for. Unless they were throwing quadrimegazillion dollar bills.
Anyway, as I started hearing fireworks happen on the fourth, I hustled out to the balcony, where I saw the top bit of fireworks over the treetops. This balcony of which I speak is separated from the balcony of the opposing apartment by about four feet of roof, and I'd been there for about two minutes when a girl from this opposing apartment hopped onto the roof and disappeared upwards. I followed, intrigued; I had thought it might be neat to get on the roof but had never done so. Up there I found her and her husband, who turned out to be agreeable neighbor-types. But let me just tell you about the view. The Salt Lake area is one big valley, and you see can all of it from up there, from mountain range to mountain range. The fireworks might as well have been in the duck pond out front. And then the other ones started up; Salt Lake City is actually slashed into smaller divisions with names like Sugar House, Cottonwood, and Murray (in which I live now), and each apparently has its own fireworks display. So the three of us watched not one fourth of July, but seven. And they were good displays... most of them lasted at least half an hour.
The neighbors told me that the fourth is a big thing here, but not nearly as big as the twenty-fourth. That's when Utah became a state, they said, and if that's bigger than what I saw last night, I'm gonna camp out on the roof now.
Happy birthday, everyone.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, man... And I'm too old & wobbly to get up on a roof! L.M.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Clarence Wethern said...

I regret turning down an invitation to watch fireworks from my friends' roof. They live in a highrise apartment building, and I could probably have seen every fireworks display in the Twin Cities. *sigh* Oh, well.

I'm reminded of the time I was on the Causeway when it turned 1999. The Greater New Orleans area was a wall of fireworks, and I watched from several miles out on the Lake.

BTW, Minnesota likes to have 4th of July fireworks on the days leading up to the 4th, which is irritating and silly.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Indigeaux said...

Did you use "quadrigazillion" again because nobody commented on it from the last post?

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home