Sunday, July 01, 2007

Ain't It Grand

You get tired of hearing passengers asking about the Grand Canyon. They'll call me over, sometimes with the call button even, and point at something out the window. Sometimes it's a small dent in the ground in Idaho. Other times it's a small dent in the ground in Kansas. Occasionally it's a parking lot in Fresno. And they always ask, "Is that the Grand Canyon?"
And I always say, "Why yes. Yes it is."
I got so tired, in fact, of looking out the window to see if something was the Grand Canyon, that when we flew over the Utah/Arizona border and I saw this, I thought nothing of it:

And this hole in the ground kept going on for miles and miles, and before I knew it, before I thought about it, before I could stop myself, I called the flight deck and asked, "Hey, is that the Grand Canyon off our starboard bow?"
And the captain said wearily, "Why yes. Yes it is."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home