Thursday, June 14, 2007

Who, Again, Is Flying This Plane?

The pilot shirt I wear now is a constant source of amusement. People get on board, say hello to me, and then whisper to their travel mates how young pilots are these days. Never mind that I'm actually a decade older than most of the first officers.
Yesterday a guy asked if I was the co-captain. When I said I was the FA, he said he thought you didn't get to wear wings if you were just the flight attendant. In my mind, I kicked him.
But let's get to the funny part. Today a pilot from another airline hitched a ride with us in that third seat in the flight deck. And halfway into the flight, the FO had to take the walk of shame. And because the third seat has to fold up before you can get out of the flight deck, the third pilot had to exit to let the FO out. Now mind you, the passengers hadn't seen the third pilot go in the flight deck because he boarded before they did... all they saw was two pilots exit the flight deck, and me go in for five minutes. So when I came out, the first three rows of passengers looked distinctly uncomfortable. I didn't explain, because sometimes I'm a jerk.
Not everyone was worried, though. An elderly lady, as she deplaned, told me she thought it was sweet for the pilots to let me have a try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home