Monday, May 07, 2007

Why The HELL Didn't I Think Of This

Experienced theater for the first time in Salt Lake, and what better for an inaugural show than The One Man Star Wars Trilogy. A Canadian named Charles Ross, after having seen the movies almost as many times as I have, put together a one-man show wherein he performs the entire trilogy in one hour, and he's been doing it to such acclaim that I'd read about it on the internet. So when I heard on the radio that he was in SLC, I bought tickets that day.
This is not one of those shows that you can go into not knowing anything about Star Wars... if that's the case, all you'll see is a guy in a jumpsuit flapping around, yelling, and singing. But if you're a die-hard fan, you'll see that this guy is good, and you'll see it from the moment he spits into the microphone for the drum roll at the beginning of the 20th Century Fox logo. He's a dead-on mimic, and makes the characters both instantly identifiable and slightly stupid where appropriate (which, even as a hardcore fan, I admit is almost constantly). While showing a love of the mythos, he asks questions we all asked, like: where do those yellow words at the beginning come from? Is Vader black or white? Where the hell did Mark Hamill go? And why does Luke keep kissing his sister, and why is it such a feat that he guesses who she is if she's the only female in the movies? And he's just as good with the music too... some of the parts where he performs just the soundtrack were funnier than the dialogue.
At one point during the show, some miscreant's cellphone rang, and he worked it into a conversation with R2-D2 about how no one uses cellphones in the future anymore.
If you're a fan, and this show comes to a galaxy near you, go you must. It is your destiny.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is your "Forever Plaid", baby. Man, I hope I get to see it!

L.M.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

Sounds hilarious. :) Like the internet parodies where movies are recreated...with BUNNIES!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bup and I saw him here in Minneapolis. I loved it, especially the "That was my last line?!" comment.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Indigeaux said...

This is right up my alley.

Back in STL, The Non-Prophet Theater had a comedy/improv group (The Militant Propaganda Bingo Machine) wherein one cast member did the trilogy in 3 minutes with action figures. I laughed so hard I almost peed a little.

Almost I said.

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home