Monday, March 05, 2007

The Original KFC... No Really

You always see restaurants with signs that say stuff like, "Eat at Flappy's... We're the Original!" So when I drove past the local KFC, and the sign said The Original KFC, I thought it was more of the same. But my roommate Katy, who is infinitely smarter than I am because she can read, told me that it was, in fact, the very first Kentucky Fried Chicken on Earth. I called shenanigans, because why the hell would a place called Kentucky Fried Chicken have a point of origin in Utah? I spearheaded a mission to investigate, followed closely by Michele, who likes chicken, and Katy, who just likes to be there when I'm wrong.
In 1941, one Pete Harman opened the Do Drop Inn Restaurant, complete with outhouse, on that very spot in Salt Lake City. A decade later, one Colonel Sanders appeared on his doorstep with samples of what he called Kentucky Fried Chicken, and would Pete be interested in joining forces? Mr Harman said hell no, get the hell out of my restaurant and what is that that smells so good? Several pieces of chicken later, he recanted, and in 1952, KFC was born. Sometime after that, they got rid of the outhouse.
The place got remodeled in 2004, but inside it's just as much museum as restaurant. One of the Colonel's suits is in there, as are several bricks from the Do Drop Inn. We ate various pieces of chicken, and Katy watched me have a helping of crow. And then we took this picture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home