Thursday, December 14, 2006

Things Are Upside-Down Here

Today I had to deadhead back into Salt Lake, and so I sat in the back with one of the pilots. As we approached the Wasatch Mountains, I saw this fog stuff over the city:

Made a joke about 'hey look, we're a big enough city to have our own smog!' and he said it was something called the inversion layer. Some kind of meteorological phenomenon. The mountains trap air at their base because of the heat rising, and it ends up on the wrong side... inverted, I guess you could say. Not technically smog, he said, because it's a weather thing, but it amounts to the same thing. Old people should not go out, and I shouldn't drive my car. I hate that. There's only one reason I drive my car, and that's to look at outdoor old people.
This same pilot was saying that some guy did a study of the locations of all the natural disasters that befall the U.S., and the only place where you're perfectly safe from everything is a fifty square-mile area in southeast Utah. Joseph Smith was RIGHT!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home