Friday, November 03, 2006

And OH Yeah, The Library

The observant among you will have noticed there's been a link to the Salt Lake City Public Library over there on the right for a while now. I've been there. But I haven't had photograhic proof till just now, and so now at long last you will understand why there is a link to something as mundane as a house full of books.

Quite a house, huh? This place is five stories tall, and from the architecture, one can clearly see why it's won Best Library four years in a row (thought once you win it once, wouldn't you naturally win it again the next year? Not sure how that works). Four fireplaces in reading nooks on every floor, art galleries, cybercafes, and the requisite zillions of books. The strange cloud I'm looking at in the picture is actually a mid-air sculpture of a human head, wrought of tiny hanging books on which sit butterflies whose wings flap slowly and bear writing in different languages (don't try to diagram that last sentence... you'll only hurt yourself).
And yes, there are only four floors in that picture. Stop being observant. It's five if you include the rooftop terrace at which you can eat the lunch you bought in any one of the shops down there on the first floor.

What you're seeing here is the north section of Salt Lake City, nestled at the base of the Wasatch Mountains. It's an awesome view, and in fact, the first time I saw it, I spent a few minutes trying to fit the enormity of it into my tiny flat-land Louisiana mind.
I am officially a card-carrying member of this Library now, since I have a local address. The first book I borrowed was Stephen King's Cell (which is about cellphones turning the world into zombies), and the first thing I did after borrowing said book was call someone on my cellphone to tell them what I did.
That's right... I live on the edge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home